Let's start with frequently asked questions
- What is a K-Carafe® pod? K-Carafe® pods are new pods developed specifically for use in the Keurig® 2.0 system. These pods contain up to 26 grams of fresh coffee and brew approximately four cups of coffee into a specially designed Keurig® carafe that holds up to 30 ounces of coffee.
Like our K-Cup® and Vue® pods, the number of ounces (or grams) in each carafe pod varies depending on the beverage. Even among single cup coffee pods, volumes vary depending on the coffee’s roast level, grind, and formulation for optimal brewing.
- How many cups will I be able to pour if I use K-Carafe® pods? K-Carafe® pods can be brewed on three settings – 2 to 3 cups (22 ounces); 3 to 4 cups (26 ounces); or 4 to 5 cups (30 ounces).
- What is the maximum amount that I can brew using K-Carafe® pods? The maximum K-Carafe® setting is up to 4-5 cups (up to 30 ounces). The Keurig® carafe itself holds up to 32 ounces.
- What pod format are your K-Carafe® pods – K-Cup® or Vue®? Our K-Carafe® pods will utilize our patented Vue® pod design.
- So can I brew a K-Carafe® pod in my Vue® brewer? K-Carafe® pods have been designed to brew a four-cup carafe optimally in Keurig® 2.0 brewers. The pods are not designed for the Vue® brewers.
- What brands will you offer in K-Carafe® pods? There will be a number of beverage brands available in the K-Carafe® pod format upon introduction of the new Keurig® 2.0 system, with additional brands and beverages to be added over time. K-Carafe® varieties will include:
• Green Mountain Coffee® Breakfast Blend
• Green Mountain Coffee® Breakfast Blend Decaf
• Green Mountain Coffee® French Vanilla
• Green Mountain Coffee® French Roast
• The Original Donut Shop® Regular*
• Folgers’s® Gourmet Lively Colombian
• Folgers’s® Classic Roast
• Eight O’Clock® Coffee The Original
• Newman’s Own Organics® Special Blend*
• Tully’s® Coffees Hawaiian Blend
- Do you plan on offering beverages other than coffee in K-Carafe® pods? We plan to focus initially on coffee, as that’s where demand for carafe brewing typically lies.
- Will Starbucks® and Dunkin’ Donuts™ coffee be available in K-Carafe® pods? At launch, Starbucks® and Dunkin’ Donuts™ coffee will not be available in K-Carafe® pods. We plan to launch additional K-Carafe® beverages over time.
- Will there be organic or fair trade K-Carafe® varieties available? Yes, Newman’s Own Organics® Special Blend, which is organic and fair trade, will be available in K-Carafe® pods.
- Why doesn’t the carafe look more premium? Why isn’t the carafe insulated? Will there be alternative carafe options available? The carafe included with our Keurig® 2.0 brewers is a great solution for consumers looking to brew a four-cup carafe to share with friends and family or take on the road in a large travel mug. While the included carafe is not insulated, consumers can purchase an insulated Stainless Steel Carafe for $29.99.
- Why can’t I use any carafe I want? For safety reasons, we designed Keurig carafes to sync with the Keurig® 2.0 brewer to ensure as best we could that when you put in a carafe pod they can safely brew the volume of coffee that will be delivered when they push the button for a carafe brew.
Therefore, you will not be able to brew a carafe without the included carafe or Stainless Steel Carafe.
- What are the advantages to using this new carafe option versus using my batch brewer? The Keurig® 2.0 system offers you the ability to use one Keurig® system to both brew a single cup and a four-cup carafe simply and conveniently using Keurig® brand pods.
General Beverage Information
- DECAFFEINATION PROCESSKeurig Green Mountain’s roasting partners use different processes to decaffeinate their coffee and tea. The processes are: Direct Process, Indirect Process (Indirect & Direct uses solvents such as: methylene chloride or ethyl acetate) and Swiss Water Process.
Direct Process soaks the beans in water, and then a decaffeinating agent is mixed with the beans to remove the caffeine. Finally the beans are steamed and dried to remove the decaffeinating agent.
Indirect Process uses water mixed with steamed beans to draw out the caffeine. The caffeinated water is then separated from the beans and a decaffeinating agent is added to the water to remove the caffeine. Finally the decaffeinated water is reintroduced to the beans to restore any flavor that might have been extracted during the decaffeination process.
SWISS WATER® Process is a 100% chemical free coffee decaffeination and uses a “broth” of coffee solubles that saturate the beans and then is filtered through a charcoal media that extracts the caffeine.
Lavazza uses an innovative decaffeination process involving water and carbon dioxide to best preserve the aromatic qualities of the coffee, while allowing for the decaffeination process to occur.
Please see our product pages for individual beverages or feel free to contact our Customer Service Department at 866-901-BREW (2739).
- CAFFEINE CONTENTCoffee contains between 75 and 150 mg. of caffeine per 8 oz. cup, depending on the roasting strength and other factors. It is difficult to measure the nutritional content of coffee, because it varies depending on many things. Generally, the darker the coffee is roasted, the less caffeine it contains.
Almost all decaffeinated coffees still contain some caffeine. The international standard by which decaffeinated coffee is characterized is by having at least 97% of the caffeine removed. Decaf coffee should fall somewhere in the range of 2 to 4 mg. per 8 oz cup
Espresso, in general, has more caffeine than an average coffee. However, the usual serving size for espressos is much smaller than for coffee – compare the size of a 1.4 oz shot of espresso with roughly 50-75 mg of caffeine to a standard 8 oz cup of coffee containing 75-150 mg of caffeine.
We offer teas with a wide range of caffeine content – from naturally caffeine free herbal teas to green and black teas with naturally occurring caffeine. For most of our caffeinated teas the caffeine content ranges from 50-75mg
Most of our specialty beverages contain little to no caffeine. However, specialty beverages containing tea, coffee, or chocolate may have up to 60mg per 8oz serving
- KOSHER CERTIFICATIONBelow are the specific organizations that pertain to our K-Cup® pods brands. The abbreviations below found in "quotations" are the symbols we use to represent a Kosher product. These symbols can be found on the K-Cup® detail page on Keurig.com and the packaging
• "U" Orthodox
• "KSA" Kosher Supervision of America
• "K" Star-K
• "MK" Jewish Community Council of Montreal
• "K" Va'ad HaRabanim
• "KOF-K" Kosher Supervision "
All coffees, teas, and espressos are certified kosher
Most K-Cup® pods are Kosher Certified Pareve. The only exceptions are the Hot Cocoa beverages, which are certified kosher –Dairy
Café Escapes® pods are not kosher certified.
Hot cocoa K-Cup® pods, which are certified Kosher-Dairy
When a hot cocoa K-Cup® pods is brewed in a Keurig brewer, the brewer converts from Kosher Pareve to Kosher-Dairy and any subsequent K-Cups brewed in this brewer would be classified Kosher-Dairy. If you want your Keurig brewer to remain Kosher Pareve, you'll need a second Keurig brewer for brewing hot cocoa K-Cup® pods. Using a second K-Cup holder will not keep the brewer Kosher Pareve.
Please refer to the product detail pages for specific information about kosher certification
- ALLERGENSFlavored coffee beverages made by Gloria Jean’s, Green Mountain Coffee® and Timothy's Coffee® do not contain any nut proteins. They declare that their flavored coffees are free of all nut allergens because the flavored coffees are all flavored in separate vats from the non-flavored coffees. Even though there are no nut proteins used, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters performs a thorough clean-down between flavors during the production process. Some flavored beverages may contain nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, sulfites(less than 10ppm), propylene glycol, and caramel color. Please see the individual product nutritionals for a list of ingredients.
Hot cocoa and dairy based beverages may contain milk, soy or tree nuts
Timothy’s Lemon Blueberry Passion Tea does contain gluten
Most Coffee and Tea pods are egg, dairy and gluten-free. Please see the individual product nutritionals for a list of ingredients.
Some Café Escapes beverages may contain palm or coconut oil, sucralose, sugar, cocoa derivatives, dairy, sodium caseinate, soy. Please see the individual product nutritionals for a list of ingredients. Go to Beverages
- FAIR TRADE/RAINFOREST ALLIANCEFair Trade is an innovative, market-based approach to sustainability that restores balance to the power dynamic in the coffee supply chain. Fair Trade Certified™ means co-ops and their farmers get a fair price for their beans. Every pound sold has a minimum price they can count on and the prices exceed the co-op’s cost of production, increasing resources for health care and education and helping farmers feed their families. To qualify for Fair Trade certification, farmers must belong to a democratically organized co-op. Because they get a fair price, these small family farmers can grow coffee with respect for the community and the land, avoiding cost-cutting practices that sacrifice quality and the environment’s health.
Rainforest Alliance Certification ensures the environment and wildlife are protected, workers receive decent wages, and improvement of living conditions including access to education, medical care and clean water, and that coffee is harvested and processed responsibly.
To see if your favorite beverage is fair trade or rainforest alliance certified, please visit individual product pages.
- STORING YOUR BEVERAGESWe recommend storing K-Cup® Pods, Rivo Pods, Vue Pods, Carafe pods and unopened bagged coffee in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight. Once opened, bagged coffee should be stored in an airtight container. We do not recommend storing our beverages in a refrigerator or freezer as they will absorb odors from the atmosphere.